Our preschool program builds solid educational and social foundations for Deaf children ages 3 and up who live in the 23-county RSD service area surrounding Rochester, Western and Central New York. Utilizing a variety of assessment and curriculum materials, our multifaceted approach addresses the unique needs of each Deaf and hard-of-hearing child and his or her family. Through our center-based full-day program, full and inclusive direct communication through ASL is a critical aspect of each child’s daily experience.
What we offer:
- A small teacher-to-student ratio which allows for individual instruction and assessment.
- Acquisition of both ASL and English through a bilingual environment rich in these languages.
- Enhanced language skill development resulting in children who become bilingual.
- In-class support to maximize sign language development.
- In-class and 1:1 support from an audiologist and a speech teacher to optimize the use of amplification, including hearing aids and cochlear implants.
- Culturally relevant experiences infused throughout the curriculum.
- On-going collaboration between the family, classroom teacher, and our evaluation team.
- Innovative and research-based "best practices" instruction.
- ASL, Art, library, physical education and music classes that enhance the preschool curriculum.